Monday, January 26, 2009

THE NEW KING OF POP.

Theophilus London is quite possibly our biggest tip for 2009. Even sure things like Passion Pit and Clare Maguire don't have the potential Theo has to really turn the music industry on its ear in '09. We used to hail him as the future as hip-hop, but even a lofty title like that might not be doing him justice. Hype much? Yeah, but if Theo's not the hottest new artist in the game by 2010 we'll close up shop and start going to Dave Matthews Band shows.

Theo's brand new mixtape dropped yesterday and it's pretty much fire. Beyond the Smiths-referencing title and brilliant Elvis Costello-referencing cover (above left), This Charming Mixtape compiles some of London's best work to date, including his amazing remix of Amadou & Mariam's "Sabali" which kicks things off as the intro track. Try it out for yourself below. Uh-oh, uh-oh.

MP3: "Sabali" (Theophilus London Remix) - Amadou & Mariam

16 comments:

jehan said...

love the cover.

Anonymous said...

After listening to the mixtape, I won't doubt the praise you throw upon him. Few can get away with sampling Whitney Huston like that!

Anonymous said...

this dude is amazing.

Tobias said...

Can't afford a Hasselblad...

Anonymous said...

When you do a single with him is it going to be seven inches? That wouldn't make sense.

Neon Gold said...

And why wouldn't that make sense Anonybro?

Anonymous said...

WOW tis is super dope x 800

Jamie said...

Not listened to this yet, but I love it because of the Smiths and Elvis Costello referencing already.

Anonymous said...

I don't know. I wasn't under the impression that 7" hip hop singles were made.

And I'm not really a big fan of his, mainly due to the production. It reminds me way too much of man machine era kraftwerk, which works for them obviously. But it doesn't mesh that well with his vocal delivery which is far more earthly and organic sounding than the robotic delivery of ralph und florian. I mean, this sort of production is preferable to, say, Pharell with his overly loud beats and nigh distorting mixes, but it just seems hollow to me, similar to how early Talk Talk feels to me.

Anonymous said...

Also just table at Vassar so I don't have to pay shipping next time

Heavy D said...

Can anyone spot the sample in "Day One Fans". That electro guitar riff, it is on the tip of my tongue but i just cant place it.

Neon Gold said...

Day One Fans = Love Juice by SymbolOne. I need the sample from Hum Drum though... it's painfully obvious I know but it's killing me.

Heavy D said...

Got it, danger remix of lovejuice. Thanks for the tip

harrowing love said...

That's damn clever. love elvis costello.

Unknown said...

This Charming Mixtape is my new favorite thing to do when I have 51.2 spare minutes in my day.

http://dixonfoma.blogspot.com/2009/02/thophilus-london.html

Stuart said...

You absolutely nailed it. Theo's going to EXPLODE, and unite the worlds of European electronic music and American hip-hop